Search This Blog

11.29.2013

Thanksbirthing (or: Why You Shouldn't Let Your Step-Mum Name Holidays)

I spent Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday stuck at home, in bed, with a horrible cold and fever and all that nonsense. I managed to go through 2+ boxes of tissue. I killed so much DayQuil/NyQuil that I'm certain they'll see a 25% rise in profits this quarter based on my consumption, alone (hahahaha, consumption! That's totally a pun right? Because "the consumption" used to refer to some horrible illness? Yes?)....

I may or may not currently be addled by all the cold medications and lack of sleep my brain has been forced to deal with. So, you know, there's my disclaimer in regards to this post.

Yesterday was Thanksgiving. It isn't really a huge holiday when it comes to my family. My father's birthday is late November, so we usually just meet up for dinner at some point during the last two weeks of the month. That's pretty much our celebration of Thanksgiving and (mostly) Daddy's birthday.

Because my family is fairly small (it consists of my dad and step-monster, my two younger siblings [Mar and Bug], Dad's parents, and the step-monster's folks) things are pretty flexible during Thanksgiving/Dad's birthday (or, as my stepmum lovingly dubbed it, "Thanksbirthing"... though I think that sounds totally gross).

Since I spent the past few days dying of consumption (or just a cold... you never can tell) and don't want to pass that on to the troops, I'm going to try to gather the family unit at my place this weekend for a Thanksbirthing (ew) dinner.

Last night, I went ahead and wrote a list of things I'm thankful for. Things I'm Thankful For lists are all the rage this time of year, and I need to at least keep up with the trends. Plus, I was drinking a bit and felt it was the perfect time to write a post (and by "write a post" I mean "write half of a post before falling asleep").

Because not everyone may be interested in my sentimental, heartfelt, not-at-all-funny-or-entertaining list, I've stuck it below. I hope that visiting relatives wasn't too brutal for anyone, and that your Thanksgiving Recovery goes well.



Things I'm Thankful For in 2013 (The Official List, in no particular order):

1. A strong support group
I'm not talking about an alcoholics/cocaine anonymous kind of support group, here. I'm just talking about the close friends and family that keep me sane, and have my back, and cover my ass, and all those other over-done, but entirely necessary cliches. So, basically, everyone that I have love for, and has love for me. I can't name all of those people at the moment, because of cold medicine and probably whiskey, but I do have a few honorable mentions that have made a world of difference in my life over the past 12 months (so if you're awesome and I love you, and don't mention it here, know that it's only due to whiskey cold medications the fact that I'll probably pass out in an hour or so, which isn't enough time to wax poetic about all of you stellar people).

Bec (my stepmonster)- You are one of very few people that will tell me, immediately and loudly, if you disagree with me. You keep that shit real, yo. And while we may not always find common ground, you're still always extremely supportive, and there when I need you. I'm thrilled to have you in my life, especially because I know I can be a huge bit of a pain in the ass.

Daddy- This goes without saying. You've always had a huge role in my life, and I think I do a decent job of keeping you aware of that. Maybe. Anyway, thanks for kicking ass, even if you have to wear a terrible short-sleeved polo shirt while you do it.

Gramps and Gram- You two are the most badass 70-something-year-olds I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. You both bring so much to my life, and I would be lost without you.

Ida (my sister)- I can't tell you how comforting it is to come home after a horrible day, and have my best friend there to vent to. It's been a wild ride with us, for sure, but I wouldn't have it any other way. No matter what life throws at us, or how heated an argument about the washing machine door may get, we always manage to figure our shit out and get right back into the swing of things. Plus, you created a pretty kickass little person that I love to death. So thanks for doing all of that, too.

2. That giant, beautiful, moron of a dog. My babushka. My sweet Bayba-la.
My stupid lummox of a dog has been with me for almost 5 years (I got her at 6ish months, and she turned 5 in August). She's tolerated the parade of foster dogs, cats, and kittens that have lived with us. She's patiently snuggled me as I cried to her about boyfriends, failed exams, busted car windows, job troubles, and everything in between. She's provided so much love and comic relief in the past 5 years, and I can't imagine a world without her. I even love the crap she does to drive me insane (like gathering ALL of my bedding into a pile, and sleeping on it in the center of the bed until I get home... or obsessively trying to rearrange the kibble in her bowl until she manages to knock the whole thing off the table, and then refusing to eat carpet-kibble... or chasing things in her sleep and waking me up by kicking me with her giant, pointy feet... or shoving her giant, slobbery face next to my face while I'm driving, and then shaking her head so she smacks me with her floppy ears... or drinking water and then IMMEDIATELY running over, face dripping, to shove her head into my stomach).

Okay, so maybe I don't love the crap that she does to drive me insane. But I do love her despite of all of that crap, and that says a lot (because that shit is horrendously obnoxious).

3. Stuff I can do
I know this is an odd subject, but it'll make more sense in a minute, probably. The thing is, I recognize that I'm not too shabby when it comes to fun, creative things like painting or singing. I love doing both of those things, too. Though I do get frustrated from time to time, whether it's because I can't get the apocalypse horse I'm working on to look evil enough, or because I can't quite manage to accurately count out the correct meter for The Pyramid Song before the drums kick in. When I get frustrated, or if I find myself lacking a concept or feeling unmotivated, my first reaction is to take a hiatus from my creative pursuits (despite knowing I need to quit being a bitch, and just push through my frustration). If you don't use it, you lose it, right? I worry that I take my creative aptitude for granted, so I'm taking a minute to be thankful that I'm able to try, and not always fail, when it comes to things like singing and painting.

4. My job, and car, and all that jazz. You know, the (mostly) tangible odds and ends that I see everyday, but never stop to really appreciate.
Everyone has days where they're irked by their job. Everyone has moments where they inform their car that they hate it (especially when it has a loose battery terminal that slips off when it's really cold, so they have to get out and pop the hood, adjust the connector, and then get back in to start the bastard). Everyone occasionally yells at their guitar because it popped a string, or belittles some other inanimate object (say, maybe because you tripped on it in the middle of the night, for example). I am more than guilty of all of that.

That being said, I'm glad that I have a job (and I'm thankful for the people I work with. Life would be so much harder if I had to spend my day surrounded by assholes. Thank god I don't have to deal with that). I'm thankful for my car (and Honda knows that I love her, even though I yell at her on occasion). I'm thankful for the guitars in my house, and their stupid strings that make me terrified of losing an eye every time one pops.

I'm a lucky gal, even if I do periodically stub my toe on my bookshelf at 3am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Following" doesn't necessarily mean "stalking"